Connect the EXWELL product to power with the special cable provided. LED indicator stays luminous when charging (red) and fully charged (different products feature different indicator color when charging; Do not charge more than 24h).
Please follow the steps below to identify the cause of the failure: Connect your EXWELL device to power. If it shuts down because the battery is completely depleted, the LED indicator stays luminous (red) after connecting to power, indicating it is charging. If the indicator doesn’t light up 5 minutes after connecting to power, please check: • If the plug of the device is properly connected to the socket. • If the power plug is properly connected to the wall socket. If none of the above steps can identify the cause, the EXWELL product bought by you may have a functional defect. Please check the warranty page or contact our Customer Service directly.
Clean the surface of the device with soap or water after each use, and rinse with warm water. Do not use facial cleaner containing alcohol, petroleum or acetone.
We do not recommend that you put the EXWELL product in boiling water as this may damage the product.
We do not recommend exposing EXWELL products to outdoor sunlight as this may damage the product.
Battery life varies by product, but in general, in case of low battery, LED indicator lights up and flickers in red.
Please use the charger provided with the EXWELL device. Charging with other chargers (including chargers for other EXWELL products) may damage the battery.